Did you know in 2016, more than twenty million sick days were recorded as stress or mental health related in Australia?
The increase in demand for long hours and overtime has made it difficult to promote a ‘work:life balance’ that suits your employees. Overall, this can impact the operational and day to day runnings of your small business.
Spotting the Signs:
It can be hard to keep an eye on all employees whilst still running the day to day tasks of your business. It is important to frequently check in with employees to see how they are handling things as well as being aware of the common early warning signs that may indicate your employees are struggling with mental health.
These can include:
- Lack of concentration
- Emotional behaviour and/or mood swings
- Feeling overwhelmed or frustrated with simple tasks
- Decrease in communication between colleagues
What can you do to help?
- Understanding stress. By understanding why employees are stressed gives you the opportunity to work with them. Is it because of the amount of work? Is it a particular training they need to be able to work more efficiently? Finding the root cause will both benefit the business and help your employee keep the stress levels to a minimum.
- Taking care of your mental health. Encourage employees to take five to go for a walk, stretch their legs or get a refreshment. Stepping away from the work load not only relieves tired eyes, but can also help to keep a clear mind.
- Flexible Work Arrangements. If possible, your employees might benefit from a late start. Stress can often disrupt sleep patterns and sufferers find it difficult to relax before sleep. By turning the alarm off in the morning your employees will feel more refreshed and produce a better day’s work.
- Employee Assistance Programs. Many workplaces offer EAP services that are confidential for employees. If your workplace does not offer these, there are free services employees can contact such as BeyondBlue.
If you’d like to find out how Cornerstone Consulting can help in your workplace, get in touch with us today.